Innovative solutions for the prediction of fungal diseases in grapevine
VITICAST is a supra-autonomous Operational Group whose purpose is to provide innovative solutions for the prediction of fungal diseases in vineyards.
Its objective is the optimization of the production and the sustainable development of the vine cultivation in the most important bioclimatic regions in the Spanish northwest (vineyards under study are located within the following Appellations of Origin: Rías Baixas, Ribeiro, Valdeorras and Ribera del Duero) through the innovation in the management of fungal diseases of higher incidence (downy mildew, powdery mildew and botrytis).
The project is developing a tool for the forecasting of possible infections which will combine: meteorological data measured at the vineyard level, prediction of the phenological stages of the vine and concentration of spores and inoculum necessary for the infection to occur. This tool will allow estimating the crop production in advance, as well as reducing antifungal treatments applied in the vineyard. Therefore, it will facilitate the work of cooperatives and wine cellars, contributing to the production of a higher quality wine and a more sustainable production by minimizing the impacts on the environment related to the application of phytosanitary products.
Operational Groups are the main actors in the implementation of the EIP-Agri (European Innovation Partnership for Agricultural productivity and sustainability), and one of the key tools for the execution of the National Rural Development Programme 2014-2020 for promoting innovation in the agri-food and forestry sectors within the European scope. They gather agents of different profiles with common interests, such as farmers, ranchers, companies, researchers or training and dissemination actors, who are associated to implement an innovation project in order to provide a joint and multi-sectorial response to a problem or need.
- Agriculture and Rural Development of the European Commission: https://ec.europa.eu/info/food-farming-fisheries_en
- National Program for Rural Development 2014-2020: http://www.redruralnacional.es/desarrollo-rural/programas-de-desarrollo-rural
The General Directorate of Rural Development, Innovation and Forestry Policy is the managing authority in charge of applying the EAFRD and the corresponding national funds.
- Monet Tecnología e Innovación S.L. (operational group representant)
- Winery – Viña Costeira S.C.G.
- Winery – Bodega Hacienda Monasterio S.L.
- Winery – Bodega Matarromera S.L.
- Estación Fitopatolóxica Areeiro (Diputación de Pontevedra)
- University of Vigo (Plant, soil and subproducts utilization research group)
- Galician University-Enterprise Foundation (FEUGA)
- University of Santiago de Compostela (Chromatography and Chemometrics research group)
- Wine Technology Platform (PTV)
- Association of Ribeiro Bottling and Harvesters (ACER)
- Galician Association of Viticulture (AGV)